Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tudor Chronograph 79170 aka 'Big Block'


My first venture into Tudors was prompted by the collector who sold me the 1665. He told me that certain Tudor chronographs (Monte Carlos, but this term and also 'Big Block' hadn't been coined then) were quite collectible but a more affordable variant with plastic crystal was still fairly readily available. And so I made a 3 hr drive to meet a man selling his Tudor Chronograph because he preferred wearing his TT Submariner instead. The 79170 is NOS with caseback red sticker still intact and in mint condition. I didn't have the heart to wear the watch and it has been stored since. Subsequently, I bought a complete set 79270 pre-tiger chrono but sadly sold it to a Belgian dealer. I regret that decision to this day and restored another truly beaten up 79270 which I still wear today.